[Openmama-dev] Writing an AMQP bridge

Raphael Cohn raphael.cohn at stormmq.com
Wed Nov 2 17:13:22 UTC 2011

OpenMAMA looks like it's got the potential to solve a substantial hole in
messaging. In particular, it makes a superb way to write portable C
applications that use MQ.

We've been looking at the documentation and source, and are interested in
working with the OpenMAMA community to develop an AMQP 1-0 bridge. We
currently have an active open source project for a C client for AMQP 1-0,
libamqp (https://github.com/libamqp)

It looks like it would be quite possible to integrate this into OpenMAMA.
The challenge is that we'd also need to define a small 'profile' for AMQP
1-0 vendors to support the full fidelity of OpenMAMA (eg data dictionaries)
- we've done some work on how this might be possible. Ideally this would
need the buy in from the other AMQP vendors. However, OpenMAMA steering
group members and AMQP membership is somewhat aligned, so I'm sure that
this is possible.

We'd also be interested in helping write a Java wrapper, to provide a
sensible, cross-platform alternative to JMS. As a first pass, this could
use BridJ to deliver most functionality (http://code.google.com/p/bridj/).
In our experience it can achieve about 90% of JNI's performance, and, with
modification to use Sun specifics (eg Unsafe), can be used in a most
un-Java, but efficient, manner. For the final 10% one is almost better off
compiling a special JVM.

Introductions over,

Raph

Raphael Cohn
Chief Architect
raphael.cohn at StormMQ.com
StormMQ Limited

UK Office:
Gateshead int'l Business Centre, Mulgrave Terrace, Gateshead, NE8 1AN,
United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 845 3712 567

Registered office:
16 Anchor Street, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 0JY, United Kingdom
StormMQ Limited is Registered in England and Wales under Company Number
07175657
StormMQ.com