From: Gary Molloy
Sent: 02 December 2014 17:44
To: Glenn McClements; Sam Wilson; Tom Doust; openmama-dev@...
Subject: RE: [Openmama-dev] Asynchronous publisher events

Hi Guys,

I have created an appraisal / proposal document for the new publisher event handling feature on Google Docs which you can find here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bxy0Muxit4uc8Bz-y6CS3wFq5I7sJ0qAkA8-zr5vLec/edit?usp=sharing

If you would like to review the document and we can then schedule a call so we can go over the proposal to discuss it in further detail.

Thanks,
Gary

Gary Molloy
SR.LABS Proven High Speed Electronic Trading Solutions g.molloy@...

From: <Alpert>, Reed <reed.alpert@...>
Date: Wednesday, 10 September 2014 19:13
To: Benjamin Taieb <benjamin.taieb@...>, Frank Quinn <fquinn@...>, "fquinn.ni@..." <fquinn.ni@...>, Glenn McClements <gmcclements@...>
Cc: "Openmama-dev@..." <Openmama-dev@...>

Hi,

Yes I agree with Ben’s comments.

Here are some caveats:

1.      This is a feature that is requested by our market data infrastructure team to prevent app dev teams from accidentally publishing incorrect field types. We don’t believe that a voluntary program will work, which is why the FieldCache as a location is not preferred. Apps won’t use the FieldCache if they don’t need it, or are using an Excel plugin for publishing (quite common).

2.      This is a configured feature, and only for publication.

3.      This is not for subscription, that is, a subscriber can use any of the getXX() methods that work.

There seems to be general agreement that the OM layer is much better place for this feature than bridges themselves.

The two best locations seem to be:

1.      In mamaMsg, in the addXX and updateXX methods, probably with a macro like CHECK_MODIFY() that calls out to another module to do the work.

a.       This is good since it keep the message construction in mamaMsg module.

b.      This is good since it give the programmer the quickest feedback on an error condition.

c.       This is bad since it puts some performance hit on construction of every message, even on subscribe.

d.      This is bad since it makes the code active for creating subscribe messages too.

e.       This is bad since it puts more code in more places for this feature.

2.      In publisher.send() that checks a config var and then calls out to another module to do the work.

a.       This is good since it has minimal code changes, and minimal performance effect.

b.      This is good since it only affects publish messages.

c.       This is bad since it gives delayed failure, and there may be multiple fields that fail.

                                                              i.      Probably logging each failed field and returning an error code will work well to help developers fix problems.

I think the publisher.send() method is the best place, given the above.

But figuring out which dictionary to use for the checking seems to be the most difficult part.

Adding this feature as a config option may require also adding some optional config info about how to get a dictionary for a specific bridge, e.g., the source name.

Once the dictionary loading/mapping is solved then the rest seems fairly straightforward, except for the determination of allowed/denied conversions as configurable policy, but starting with 3 simple ones seems best:

1.      No checking (default)

2.      Type must match dictionary.

3.      Type must match dictionary, with a small number of allowed conversions that do not incur data loss (e.g., F32 -> F64).

This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of Intercontinental Exchange, Inc. (ICE), Euronext or any of their subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.

This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates. This transmission may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you. Please refer to http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures for disclosures relating to European legal entities.

[...]

Re: OpenMAMA RPM Release Scripts

Alpert, Reed <reed.alpert@...>

Hi Damian,

Just a note: the release subdir is also used by Vlsual Studio for its output, so there will be the rpm scripts and lib/dll/pdb files from the builds.

Our Windows git looks like this after running both Visual Studio and scons builds:

From: <Alpert>, Reed <reed.alpert@...>
Date: Wednesday, 10 September 2014 19:13
To: Benjamin Taieb <benjamin.taieb@...>, Frank Quinn <fquinn@...>, "fquinn.ni@..." <fquinn.ni@...>, Glenn McClements <gmcclements@...>
Cc: "Openmama-dev@..." <Openmama-dev@...>

Glenn McClements <g.mcclements@...>

[...]

{
status = RsslNakCode2MamaMsgStatus(nakCode);
}

[...]

Damian Maguire

[...]

Tom Doust

Hi Sam (and Glenn)

Its interesting to hear the Solace perspective on this.

In the RMDS case we are dealing with real messages, they come from the intended destination of the published message (or some routing/authentication element encountered en route to the destination) and they do come in on the wire. And they are associated with a publisher. Almost completely complementary to the case you describe

I don’t really care how we deliver this kind of notification to the client. I agree though that callbacks are (in some respects) easier to implement. If publisher call-backs are added to the api I will modify our bridge to give client apps the option of using them. In the meantime inbox messages work just fine.

I think one thing that this issue demonstrates is that it is important to look at the behaviour of a range of platforms as part of defining interfaces.

Best regards

Sam Wilson <Sam.Wilson@...>

[...]

Hi Glenn

In many cases publishing a message is transactional and can succeed or fail. Failure does not mean that the connection (for the transport or the item is at fault) in which case connection level call-backs are not the appropriate way to signal a transaction failure.

Even with the ACL failure condition described by Sam could recover without a reconnect from the client if the Solace server supports dynamic changes to the ACL.

On RMDS/TREP a common cause for receiving a NAK is that the user is not permissioned to publish this particular symbol on this source. The may be entitled on other symbols

I'm inclined to agree with you about the use of callbacks over messages but in practical terms the "send-from-inbox / reply-to-inbox" mechanism is in place and is consistently available in the c/cpp, java and .net apis; that’s not true of call-backs. It's also true that messages are generally easier to manage in an asynchronous, multi-threaded environment.

Best regards

Tom

[...]

Re: mamaMsg_toString & mamaMsg_freeString

Damian Maguire <d.maguire@...>

Hey Reed,

This was actually discussed a while ago on the mailing lists, after a question from Guy. At the time Frank responded and indicated that the mamaMsg_freeString function was deprecated and that the expectation (and current Qpid Proton bridge implementation) is that bridges will reuse a string buffer for performance reasons. You can see Frank's response to the original question in the chain here: http://lists.openmama.org/pipermail/openmama-dev/2013-November/000740.html

We also raised a Bugzilla ticket to mark freeString as completely deprecated. This is actually a bit more complex than it sounds, but is set to be resolved as part of the enum removal/vtable work, so we'd expect to get it cleaned up in the reasonably near future. You can actually see how this is to be implemented, and some of the complexity associated with it here:  https://github.com/OpenMAMA/OpenMAMA-dynamic/commit/77ae57177c42dbf00f1ba9cf5f858230bb555b83

Let me know if you have any other questions on this.

Thanks,

Damian

On 10/11/14 16:23, Alpert, Reed wrote:

Hi,

Question on mamaMsg_toString & mamaMsg_freeString.

toString() calls into bridge impl, but freeString() just returns (is not available in the bridge impl mamaPayloadBridgeImpl).

Currently for Tick42 malloc is called in the toString(), and the user is expected to call free() when done with the buffer.

Is this the design intended for all bridges?

[...]

Re: Possible bug with MamaSubscription.java

Gary Molloy <g.molloy@...>

Hi Chad,

Thanks for your email.  We’ve taken a look at MamaSubscription.java and it does indeed look like there is an issue with the management of the closure when using setupSubscription.

The fix seems straight forward enough, but will require some testing to ensure it works as expected.  Could I ask you to raise this issue in Bugzilla so that we can track it?  If you could also provide a patch (along with your testing) we can try to get it pushed through a little quicker.