From: openmama-dev-bounces@... [mailto:openmama-dev-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Damian Maguire
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:31 AM
To: openmama-dev@...
Subject: [Openmama-dev] OpenMAMA RPM Release Scripts

Folks,

Some of you may have noticed a few commits which have just landed in next which relate to the OpenMAMA RPM builds. These are tools which I've been using internally to help facilitate the OpenMAMA release process by automating some of the steps involved. At present they are pretty rough around the edges, however after talking to a few people about them I believe there is some value in having them out there for others to review/enhance.

The primary one of interest to most people is likely to be the openmama.spec file, which resides under the 'release' directory. This is the specification file used by rpmbuild to generate the base RPM and SRPMs, which can then used to generate other RPMs for alternative platforms.

If you clone down next (and assuming you have met the base requirements - running RHEL6 or derivative, have all the OpenMAMA pre-reqs, have rpmbuild and mock installed etc), you should be able to perform a full build yourself by simply entering the release directory and executing:

    $ ./openmama-rpm.sh

As I say, it's all a little rough, and still quite heavily tailored to my own build environment, but I would appreciate any feedback/bug fixes/issues etc.

This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates. This transmission may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you. Please refer to http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures for disclosures relating to European legal entities.

Re: Enforcing field type on publish

Alpert, Reed <reed.alpert@...>

Hi Damian,

I have our pre-publish check code ready, but it is not pluggable.

I’d like to submit it as a patch using #ifdef like the entitlements code.

That way I don’t have to maintain it as OM evolves, and it won’t affect other OM developers.

When the pluggable/hook system is ready I can port it over.

There are 2 new files:

mama/c_cpp/src/c/publisherfieldcheck.c

mama/c_cpp/src/c/publisherfieldcheck.h

and changes to:

mama/c_cpp/src/c/Sconscript

mama/c_cpp/src/c/transport.c

mama/c_cpp/src/c/mama/transport.h

mama/c_cpp/src/c/publisher.c

Please let me know if an #ifdef patch is OK for this.

I can submit the patch if you want to see what it involves.

Reed Alpert | Corporate & Investment Bank | Market Data Services | J.P. Morgan | 4 Metrotech Center, 23rd Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11245 | T: 718.242.5198  | M: 917.414.4613 | reed.alpert@...

Alternate Contact:  CIB PIM Trading Technology Solutions NA | CIB_PIM_Trading_Technology_Solutions_NA@...

From: <Alpert>, Reed <reed.alpert@...>
Date: Wednesday, 10 September 2014 19:13
To: Benjamin Taieb <benjamin.taieb@...>, Frank Quinn <fquinn@...>, "fquinn.ni@..." <fquinn.ni@...>, Glenn McClements <gmcclements@...>
Cc: "Openmama-dev@..." <Openmama-dev@...>

Hi,

Yes I agree with Ben’s comments.

Here are some caveats:

1.      This is a feature that is requested by our market data infrastructure team to prevent app dev teams from accidentally publishing incorrect field types. We don’t believe that a voluntary program will work, which is why the FieldCache as a location is not preferred. Apps won’t use the FieldCache if they don’t need it, or are using an Excel plugin for publishing (quite common).

2.      This is a configured feature, and only for publication.

3.      This is not for subscription, that is, a subscriber can use any of the getXX() methods that work.

There seems to be general agreement that the OM layer is much better place for this feature than bridges themselves.

The two best locations seem to be:

1.      In mamaMsg, in the addXX and updateXX methods, probably with a macro like CHECK_MODIFY() that calls out to another module to do the work.

a.       This is good since it keep the message construction in mamaMsg module.

b.      This is good since it give the programmer the quickest feedback on an error condition.

c.       This is bad since it puts some performance hit on construction of every message, even on subscribe.

d.      This is bad since it makes the code active for creating subscribe messages too.

e.       This is bad since it puts more code in more places for this feature.

2.      In publisher.send() that checks a config var and then calls out to another module to do the work.

a.       This is good since it has minimal code changes, and minimal performance effect.

b.      This is good since it only affects publish messages.

c.       This is bad since it gives delayed failure, and there may be multiple fields that fail.

                                                              i.      Probably logging each failed field and returning an error code will work well to help developers fix problems.

I think the publisher.send() method is the best place, given the above.

But figuring out which dictionary to use for the checking seems to be the most difficult part.

Adding this feature as a config option may require also adding some optional config info about how to get a dictionary for a specific bridge, e.g., the source name.

Once the dictionary loading/mapping is solved then the rest seems fairly straightforward, except for the determination of allowed/denied conversions as configurable policy, but starting with 3 simple ones seems best:

1.      No checking (default)

2.      Type must match dictionary.

3.      Type must match dictionary, with a small number of allowed conversions that do not incur data loss (e.g., F32 -> F64).

This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of Intercontinental Exchange, Inc. (ICE), Euronext or any of their subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.

[...]

Re: Asynchronous publisher events

Glenn McClements <g.mcclements@...>

Yeah I think something analogous to mamaMsgCallbacks (which should have
been
called mamaSubscriberCallbacks in hindsight) for the mamaPublisher is the
nicest
fit here.

The advantage of doing it this was is that the set of callbacks can be
optional
and extensible. One gotcha though is the question of which thread/queue
the
callback should be fired on? Currently the mamaPublisher doesn’t have a
queue
associated with it so we’ll probably need to add this as well.

For next steps I propose we collate the requirements for publisher events
and
put together a proposal/appraisal, then we can figure out who wants to
implement
and test it. Possible events are:

- undeliverable (with a reason/status)
- delivered
- …. anything else?

Gary on our side will pull these together and we can set up a call to
discuss.

On 11/11/2014 16:45, "Sam Wilson" <Sam.Wilson@solacesystems.com> wrote:

Hey Glenn, Tom,

I have to agree with Glenn here. I don't think these kind of events
belong alongside regular messages, for a couple of reasons.

For one, simply enough, they aren't messages. They don't originate from
a publisher, they wouldn't travel along the wire, and they probably
would have to be synthesized in the middleware bridge.

Secondly, Tom's solution only works for sendFromInbox. The callback
mechanism is much more general, and would work for non-inbox messages as
well, which is important for our use case.

Assuming we do go ahead with implementing callbacks for asynchronous
publisher events, what needs to be thought about/discussed before moving
on to writing/accepting a patch?

I have two ideas on how to implement this, but keep in mind that I'm
rather new to OpenMAMA and market data in general.

We could use a mamaTransportTopic event, and report the errors with a
callback on the transport.

The other option that I see, which Glenn hinted at, is that we create a
structure similar to mamaMsgCallbacks, called mamaPublisherCallbacks;
and a pair of new methods mamaPublisher_createWithCB and/or
mamaPublisher_setCallbacks. That way we report the error on the specific
publisher.

What are your thoughts?

Regards,
Sam

On 14-11-07 10:57 AM, Glenn McClements wrote:
Hi Tom, Sam,
Before you responded I was considering the use of an inbox as a solution
to Sam’s query but I wasn’t overly keen on it. The reason being that
being
rejected by the broker felt very much like a middleware level event, not
an application or market data event so it feels better to me that the
error comes from the middleware as a callback.

Also, responding with a MamaMsg to the sender means assuming the
connection is up and alive, whereas a middleware ACL policy might
actually
prevent this from happening. It could be that you form the message on
the
client side in the bridge, but this itself feels incorrect as it’s
translating from a middleware level even into a data message. (Also a
minor point is that the MAMA_MSG_TYPE_SEC_STATUS relates to security
status events on a exchange). This is not to say that a message response
is incorrect for RMDS posts however, it’s just a different type of
event.

For Sam’s point I do prefer the idea of currently returning a
MAMA_TRANSPORT_PUBLISHER_DISCONNECT, and the transport is currently the
best/only place to do this.

Going forward we could add callbacks to the MamaPublisher object to
inform
the client asynchronously of events like this, and
MAMA_TRANSPORT_TOPIC_PUBLISH_DENIED seems reasonable though we would
need
to consider how this would be used/interact with the higher level
concept
of market data entitlements.

Another related concept is guaranteed or acknowledged messaging, which
would generate other asynchronous event on a publishers. Like the
original
issue, this *could* be done at a high level with MamaMsgs being passed
back to acknowledge delivery, but generally this is implemented at the
middleware level so again a publisher callback would be better (with a
handle to the original message as well for context).

Glenn

On 07/11/2014 14:20, "Tom Doust" <tom.doust@tick42.com> wrote:

Hi

In the Tick42 RMDS bridge we address this problem by allowing
applications to use the sendFromInbox methods on a publisher and where
applicable converting the an asynchronous response from the RMDS into a
mama message which is delivered to the inbox.

Although this is intended to support the RMDS message "post" publishing
model that will ACK (or NAK) every message I think it will work for any
middleware that has an asynchronous response mechanism; other
publishing
models on RMDS do not have a message reponse.

The message sent to the inbox is arbitrary but it would make sense if
other bridges that used this technique used the same message structure.

The message we use is formed as follows

mamaMsg_addI32(msg, "MdMsgType", 1, MAMA_MSG_TYPE_SEC_STATUS);

mamaMsgStatus status = MAMA_MSG_STATUS_OK;
if(nakCode != RSSL_NAKC_NONE)
{
status = RsslNakCode2MamaMsgStatus(nakCode);
}

mamaMsg_addI32(msg, "MdMsgStatus", 2, status);
mamaMsg_addString(msg, "wSymbol",470, symbol_.c_str());

As you can see we just convert an rssl NAK code to an equivalent mama
code, or use an OK status in the case of an ACK. These include states
like MAMA_MSG_STATUS_NOT_ENTITLED and MAMA_MSG_STATUS_BAD_SYMBOL
amongst
a number of others. Obviously the set of code and the mappings are
platform specific

The one thing I think is missing here is a field containing a text
string
which could carry more information relevant to the client application.

We would propose that everyone addressing the issue of processing
asynchronous publishing responses takes this approach and that as a
community we agree on a convention for the message content.

Best Regards

From: <Meyer>, Chad J <chad.j.meyer@...>
Date: Friday, 5 September 2014 22:42
To: "openmama-dev@..." <openmama-dev@...>

Hi,

Attached is a patch for OpenMAMA JNI that overloads the MamaPublisher create method. For consistency purposes, the new method requires two String parameters, source and symbol, as opposed to a single string currently found in the MamaPublisher class.

diff --git a/mama/jni/src/c/mamapublisherjni.c b/mama/jni/src/c/mamapublisherjni.c

index 518bacf..629a51b 100644

@@ -78,7 +78,7 @@ static void MAMACALLTYPE sendCompleteCB (mamaPublisher publisher,

  * Method:    _create

  * Signature: (Lcom/wombat/mama/Transport;Ljava/lang/String;)V

  */

-JNIEXPORT void JNICALL Java_com_wombat_mama_MamaPublisher__1create

+JNIEXPORT void JNICALL Java_com_wombat_mama_MamaPublisher__1create__Lcom_wombat_mama_MamaTransport_2Ljava_lang_String_2

   (JNIEnv* env, jobject this, jobject transport, jstring topic)

{

     mamaPublisher   cPublisher          =   NULL;

@@ -125,6 +125,66 @@ JNIEXPORT void JNICALL Java_com_wombat_mama_MamaPublisher__1create

     return;

}

+ /*

+ * Class:     com_wombat_mama_MamaPublisher

+ * Method:    _create

+ * Signature: (Lcom/wombat/mama/MamaTransport;Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V

+ */

+JNIEXPORT void JNICALL Java_com_wombat_mama_MamaPublisher__1create__Lcom_wombat_mama_MamaTransport_2Ljava_lang_String_2Ljava_lang_String_2

+  (JNIEnv* env, jobject this, jobject transport, jstring source, jstring symbol)

+{

+             mamaPublisher   cPublisher          =   NULL;

+    mamaTransport   cTransport          =   NULL;

+    const char*     cSource             =   NULL;

+             const char*     cSymbol             =   NULL;

+

+    /*Get the transport pointer*/

+    assert(transport!=NULL);

+    transportPointer = (*env)->GetLongField(env, transport,

+            transportPointerFieldId_g);

+    cTransport = CAST_JLONG_TO_POINTER(mamaTransport, transportPointer);

+    assert(transportPointer!=0);

+

+    /*Get the char* from the jstring*/

+    if(NULL!=source)

+    {

+         cSource = (*env)->GetStringUTFChars(env,source,0);

+         if(!cSource)return;

+    }

+             if(NULL!=symbol)

+    {

+         cSymbol = (*env)->GetStringUTFChars(env,symbol,0);

+         if(!cSymbol)return;

+    }

+

+    if(MAMA_STATUS_OK!=(mamaPublisher_create(

+                    &cPublisher,

+                    cTransport,

+                    cSymbol,

+                    cSource,

+                    NULL)))

+    {

+        if(cSource)(*env)->ReleaseStringUTFChars(env,source, cSource);

+                             if(cSymbol)(*env)->ReleaseStringUTFChars(env,symbol, cSymbol);

+        utils_buildErrorStringForStatus(

+                errorString, UTILS_MAX_ERROR_STRING_LENGTH,

+                "Failed to create publisher.", status);

+        utils_throwMamaException(env,errorString);

+        return;

+    }

+

+    (*env)->SetLongField(env,this,publisherPointerFieldId_g,

+                         CAST_POINTER_TO_JLONG(cPublisher));

+

+    if(cSource)(*env)->ReleaseStringUTFChars(env,source, cSource);

+             if(cSymbol)(*env)->ReleaseStringUTFChars(env,symbol, cSymbol);

+

+    return;

+}

+

/*

  * Class:     com_wombat_mama_MamaPublisher

  * Method:    _send

diff --git a/mama/jni/src/com/wombat/mama/MamaPublisher.java b/mama/jni/src/com/wombat/mama/MamaPublisher.java

index 0146945..c1e8dc8 100644

--- a/mama/jni/src/com/wombat/mama/MamaPublisher.java

+++ b/mama/jni/src/com/wombat/mama/MamaPublisher.java

@@ -39,6 +39,11 @@ public class MamaPublisher

     {

         _create(transport,topic);

     }

+

+             public void create (MamaTransport transport, String source, String symbol)

+    {

+        _create(transport,source,symbol);

+    }

@@ -77,6 +82,8 @@ public class MamaPublisher

     }

     private native void _create (MamaTransport transport, String topic);

+

+             private native void _create (MamaTransport transport, String source, String symbol);

     private native void _send (MamaMsg msg);

--

1.8.4.msysgit.0

[...]

Chad Meyer

[...]

-