question about building on Windows

Dmitri Fedorov <dfedorov.solace@...>

In Wiki page on building under Windows for libevent:

There is the following sentence I have a question about, please:

> At this point there is an additional step which is required in order to work
> around a bug in the libevent libraries. Once the nmake command has
> completed, navigate to the ''include'' directory. Open the file ''event.h'', and
> add #include along with the other includes (yes - after compilation... don't
> ask). When complete, save the file and exit.

I'm puzzled by this instruction:
> add #include along with the other includes

Could someone explain it to me, please?
Add where? Add what, an empty #include?
What "other" includes?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Dmitri Fedorov
Software Architect
Solace Systems, Inc.
Ottawa, ON Canada

Solace Systems accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Solace Systems.

Frank Quinn <f.quinn@...>

Hi Dmitri,

Looks like a C&P error from when this document was pulled across – see original instructions here:

http://wiki.openmama.org/index.php/Building_Libevent

Last time I built on windows though I don’t think I needed this step anymore, so maybe that was only for Visual Studio 2008 which is what I was using when I originally created those instructions.

Try going ahead without it and let me know how you get on so I can update documentation Instead try building with the libevent solution file in the WIN32-Prj subdirectory.

Frank Quinn, Principal Software Engineer
Tel: +44 (0) 28 9568 0209 (Ext: 3592)
24-26 Adelaide Street, Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT2 8GD
www.srtechlabs.com

SR.LABS Proven High Speed Electronic Trading Solutions

In Wiki page on building under Windows for libevent:

There is the following sentence I have a question about, please:

> At this point there is an additional step which is required in order to work

> around a bug in the libevent libraries. Once the nmake command has

> completed, navigate to the ''include'' directory. Open the file ''event.h'', and

> add #include along with the other includes (yes - after compilation... don't

> ask). When complete, save the file and exit.

I'm puzzled by this instruction:

> add #include along with the other includes

Could someone explain it to me, please?

Add where? Add what, an empty #include?

What "other" includes?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Dmitri Fedorov

Software Architect

Solace Systems, Inc.

Ottawa, ON Canada

Solace Systems accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Solace Systems.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

Dmitri Fedorov <dfedorov.solace@...>

Hi Frank,

I'm just done building Qpid-Proton.

BTW it (Qpid-Proton) has only WIn32 build, does it mean I'm going to have only 32 bit OpenMAMA build?

I mistakenly rebuilt swig under Windows for it - do I need this swig dependency if I don't want any language bindings in Qpid-Proton? Does OpenMAMA use Qpid-Proton language bindings?

FYI I'm building under VS2015 and while doing from scratch most of the time I spent building Qpid-Proton (and I'm still not sure I've done it properly).

Cheers
Dmitri

On 9 May 2016 at 14:53, Frank Quinn <f.quinn@...> wrote:

Hi Dmitri,

Looks like a C&P error from when this document was pulled across – see original instructions here:

http://wiki.openmama.org/index.php/Building_Libevent

Last time I built on windows though I don’t think I needed this step anymore, so maybe that was only for Visual Studio 2008 which is what I was using when I originally created those instructions.

Try going ahead without it and let me know how you get on so I can update documentation Instead try building with the libevent solution file in the WIN32-Prj subdirectory.

Frank Quinn, Principal Software Engineer
Tel: +44 (0) 28 9568 0209 (Ext: 3592)
24-26 Adelaide Street, Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT2 8GD
www.srtechlabs.com

SR.LABS Proven High Speed Electronic Trading Solutions

In Wiki page on building under Windows for libevent:

There is the following sentence I have a question about, please:

> At this point there is an additional step which is required in order to work

> around a bug in the libevent libraries. Once the nmake command has

> completed, navigate to the ''include'' directory. Open the file ''event.h'', and

> add #include along with the other includes (yes - after compilation... don't

> ask). When complete, save the file and exit.

I'm puzzled by this instruction:

> add #include along with the other includes

Could someone explain it to me, please?

Add where? Add what, an empty #include?

What "other" includes?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Dmitri Fedorov

Software Architect

Solace Systems, Inc.

Ottawa, ON Canada

Solace Systems accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Solace Systems.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

Frank Quinn <fquinn.ni@...>

Hi Dmitri,

Yeah that will be 32 bit. They want you to generate 64 bit solution files by running (cmake standard):

cmake -G "Visual Studio 10 Win64"

(Changing IDE version to taste)

Yeah we don't use any of the bindings just proton-c. There are a bunch of other cmake macros to disable the extra bindings.

We did a lot of work in the last release to make our solution files more usable, but as with all building on windows, its the consistency of 3rd party library naming and layout which is one of the biggest hinderences. See rant here: http://fquinner.github.io/2015/09/20/porting-openmama-zmq-to-windows/ :)

On Mon, 9 May 2016 23:28 Dmitri Fedorov, <dfedorov.solace@...> wrote:
> [...]

Ottawa, ON Canada

Solace Systems accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Solace Systems.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

Thanks Frank,

Do you think OpenMAMA Wiki should list cmake macros that disable functionality OpenMAMA doesn't need?
If you have such list, please send it my way, I can validate it.

Regards
Dmitri

On 9 May 2016 at 18:40, Frank Quinn <fquinn.ni@...> wrote:
> [...]

Ottawa, ON Canada

Solace Systems accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Solace Systems.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

I wanted to do things like that but they kept changing them so I gave up (that's why we just point to their build method now). You'll find the latest list that I use in the travis CI environment for the ZeroMQ bridge (it uses qpid payload by default):

That'll be for qpid 0.10.0 though - doubtless it has changed again since then too.

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Dmitri Fedorov <dfedorov.solace@...> wrote:
> [...]

Ottawa, ON Canada

Solace Systems accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Solace Systems.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

Thanks Frank, now I'm stuck on Avis dependency.

avis.vcxproj refers to $(AVIS_HOME)\platforms\windows\Debug\avis.dll and $(AVIS_HOME)\platforms\windows\$(Configuration)
both AVIS Windows client and a source distribution downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/avis don't fit into this structure.

Could you provide details on what AVIS distribution I need to use, please?

Thank you in advance

On 10 May 2016 at 09:37, Frank Quinn <fquinn.ni@...> wrote:
> [...]

Ottawa, ON Canada

Solace Systems accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Solace Systems.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

Hi Dmitry,

You need to compile the tgz from source using the solution file in platforms/windows

Thanks Frank, now I'm stuck on Avis dependency.

avis.vcxproj refers to $(AVIS_HOME)\platforms\windows\Debug\avis.dll and $(AVIS_HOME)\platforms\windows\$(Configuration)
both AVIS Windows client and a source distribution downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/avis don't fit into this structure.
sourceforge.net
Avis event router download. Avis event router 2013-04-26 15:45:16 free download. Avis event router Avis is a multicast event bus. It provides a fast, publish ...

> [...]

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

Yes, Frank, I get that, this is not what I'm asking, I'm asking where do I get the axis source that fits into this structure after compilation?

Here:

I've tried both client and router, none of them creates the ...\platform\windows\... structure.
Do I create it myself?

Thanks
Dmitri

On 10 May 2016 at 11:02, Frank Quinn <f.quinn@...> wrote:

Hi Dmitry,

You need to compile the tgz from source using the solution file in platforms/windows

In Wiki page on building under Windows for libevent:

There is the following sentence I have a question about, please:

> At this point there is an additional step which is required in order to work

> around a bug in the libevent libraries. Once the nmake command has

> completed, navigate to the ''include'' directory. Open the file ''event.h'', and

> add #include along with the other includes (yes - after compilation... don't

> ask). When complete, save the file and exit.

I'm puzzled by this instruction:

> add #include along with the other includes

Could someone explain it to me, please?

Add where? Add what, an empty #include?

What "other" includes?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Dmitri Fedorov

Software Architect

Solace Systems, Inc.

Ottawa, ON Canada

Solace Systems accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Solace Systems.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

Dmitri Fedorov <dfedorov.solace@...>

Sorry Frank for the typo, the AVIS source of course, not axis

On 10 May 2016 at 11:11, Dmitri Fedorov <dfedorov.solace@...> wrote:
Yes, Frank, I get that, this is not what I'm asking, I'm asking where do I get the axis source that fits into this structure after compilation?

Here:

I've tried both client and router, none of them creates the ...\platform\windows\... structure.
Do I create it myself?

Thanks
Dmitri

On 10 May 2016 at 11:02, Frank Quinn <f.quinn@...> wrote:

Hi Dmitry,

You need to compile the tgz from source using the solution file in platforms/windows

In Wiki page on building under Windows for libevent:

There is the following sentence I have a question about, please:

> At this point there is an additional step which is required in order to work

> around a bug in the libevent libraries. Once the nmake command has

> completed, navigate to the ''include'' directory. Open the file ''event.h'', and

> add #include along with the other includes (yes - after compilation... don't

> ask). When complete, save the file and exit.

I'm puzzled by this instruction:

> add #include along with the other includes

Could someone explain it to me, please?

Add where? Add what, an empty #include?

What "other" includes?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Dmitri Fedorov

Software Architect

Solace Systems, Inc.

Ottawa, ON Canada

Solace Systems accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Solace Systems.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

Dmitri Fedorov <dfedorov.solace@...>

This is the structure of packages I'm referring to, none of them has "platforms" directory.

Inline images 1

On 10 May 2016 at 11:18, Dmitri Fedorov <dfedorov.solace@...> wrote:
> [...]

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

You need the client library for C, and you need the tgz file inside (i.e. not just the DLLs / headers of the zip file)

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/avis/avis-client-1.2.4.tar.gz

Then there's a sln file inside avis-client-1.2.4\platforms\windows that you should be able to build.

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Dmitri Fedorov <dfedorov.solace@...> wrote:
> [...]

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

This is 32-bit build reference, right?
64-bit AVIS build creates \platforms\windows\x64\$(Configuration)
Do you build OpenMAMA 64-bit on Windows or I'm the only one who's doing it and I shouldn't do it?

On 10 May 2016 at 11:21, Frank Quinn <fquinn.ni@...> wrote:
> [...]

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

It defaults to 32 bit but 64 bit should work fine when you add it as of OpenMAMA 2.3.3.

On Tue, 10 May 2016 16:36 Dmitri Fedorov, <dfedorov.solace@...> wrote:
> [...]

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

Frank,

Now I'm puzzled by the other dependency: libevent.

The OpenMAMA Wiki page you referred to suggests to build 1.4.x as libevent_code.lib, but openmama\mama\c_cpp\src\c\bridge\avis\avis.vcxproj refers to libevent.lib, how is it going to work?

What version of libevent do I need to build: 1.4.15 or 2.0.22?

It looks to me that the recommended version 1.4.X fails be build, OpenMAMA refers to the library that is not what's being build.

I was able to build 2.0.22 with "nmake /F Makefile.nmake libevent_core.lib", but I cannot build 1.4.15:

C:\Projects\ext\libevent-release-1.4.15-stable>nmake /F Makefile.nmake libevent_core.lib
Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 14.00.23506.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
        cl /Iinclude /Icompat /IWIN32-Code /DWIN32 /DHAVE_CONFIG_H /I. /Ox /W3 /wd4996 /nologo /c ev
ent.c
event.c
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.10586.0\ucrt\time.h(39): error C2011: 'timespec'
: 'struct' type redefinition
compat\sys/_libevent_time.h(52): note: see declaration of 'timespec'
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\BIN\cl.EXE"' : r
eturn code '0x2'
Stop.

Thanks
Dmitri

On 9 May 2016 at 14:53, Frank Quinn <f.quinn@...> wrote:

Hi Dmitri,

Looks like a C&P error from when this document was pulled across – see original instructions here:

http://wiki.openmama.org/index.php/Building_Libevent

Last time I built on windows though I don’t think I needed this step anymore, so maybe that was only for Visual Studio 2008 which is what I was using when I originally created those instructions.

Try going ahead without it and let me know how you get on so I can update documentation Instead try building with the libevent solution file in the WIN32-Prj subdirectory.

Frank Quinn, Principal Software Engineer
Tel: +44 (0) 28 9568 0209 (Ext: 3592)
24-26 Adelaide Street, Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT2 8GD
www.srtechlabs.com

SR.LABS Proven High Speed Electronic Trading Solutions

In Wiki page on building under Windows for libevent:

There is the following sentence I have a question about, please:

> At this point there is an additional step which is required in order to work

> around a bug in the libevent libraries. Once the nmake command has

> completed, navigate to the ''include'' directory. Open the file ''event.h'', and

> add #include along with the other includes (yes - after compilation... don't

> ask). When complete, save the file and exit.

I'm puzzled by this instruction:

> add #include along with the other includes

Could someone explain it to me, please?

Add where? Add what, an empty #include?

What "other" includes?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Dmitri Fedorov

Software Architect

Solace Systems, Inc.

Ottawa, ON Canada

Solace Systems accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Solace Systems.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

Frank Quinn <fquinn.ni@...>

Don't use nmake use the libevent 1.x project file instead. That will build libevent.lib

On Tue, 10 May 2016 19:31 Dmitri Fedorov, <dfedorov.solace@...> wrote:
> [...]

Ottawa, ON Canada

Solace Systems accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Solace Systems.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

Same error using the VS project file:
1>  event.c
1>c:\program files (x86)\windows kits\10\include\10.0.10240.0\ucrt\time.h(39): error C2011: 'timespec': 'struct' type redefinition
1>  c:\projects\ext\libevent-release-1.4.15-stable\compat\sys\_libevent_time.h(52): note: see declaration of 'timespec'

I'm going to try changing 1.4.15 project file, if you confirm that looks like VS2015 specific issue and you didn't have these problems on version VS2010/2012/2013

On 10 May 2016 at 14:35, Frank Quinn <fquinn.ni@...> wrote:

> [...]

Ottawa, ON Canada

Solace Systems accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Solace Systems.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

*sigh* most recent response was from memory rather than anything else. When I get a chance to look I can verify. It reads like you could just comment out the duplicate definition though.

On Tue, 10 May 2016 19:45 Dmitri Fedorov, <dfedorov.solace@...> wrote:
> [...]

Ottawa, ON Canada

Solace Systems accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Solace Systems.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

I've fixed the error, no big deal, my intention here is to understand if a) I'm not following instructions properly or b) the instructions need to be updated.
You're the only person who can tell me if this is the case a)
If this is the case b) then I'll figure it out, fix it up and share the instructions that work.

​Cheers
Dmitri

On 10 May 2016 at 15:54, Frank Quinn <fquinn.ni@...> wrote:

> [...]

Ottawa, ON Canada

Solace Systems accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Solace Systems.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. SR Labs LLC

Honestly, the more I deal with these issues (which seem to come up in a different form every time someone tries to build on windows), the more I think this step by step thing that we do for dependencies needs a serious descope.

There are too many moving parts and I think OpenMAMA is trying to do too much: between 3rd party code, windows SDKs, VS versions, release vs debug builds and architectures. Instead I think we should list the library and header locations we expect for the dependency along with high level instructions on how to build (I.e build using solution files).

The issue you hit there is literally nothing to do with OpenMAMA - its a bug with libevent in your build stack - so rather than update our documentation to support every possible permutation, or specify one which we still need to constantly update, I think we should just keep it vague. I'd be interested to see if the community has any thoughts on this too.

Really the only things that are relevant to OpenMAMA are those directory paths.